Wednesday 28 March 2012

Milo Cupcakes & Vanilla Choc Cupcakes


So I FINALLY finished my Cert II in Business after an agonising 5 weeks (ha-ha), and the trainer decided that we will have a morning tea to celebrate people passing the certificate and to celebrate others getting a job from the course (me!). I didn't feel right coming to the morning tea empty handed and just eating all the food there so I decided it was time to bake some cupcakes!
Now as everyone in my course seemed to LOVE milo, like Im not joking when I say that as every week the trainer needed to buy a new huge tin of it 'cause everyone drank it as if it was water!
And what better to make than a Milo cupcake!!
I looked for a recipe that would make a moist, very milo-ie flavoured cake as Milo has the brilliant taste of chocolate and malt. I pondered over different recipes til I decided "Im just going to collate all these recipes together and make my own!"....

Milo Cupcakes (mainly adapted by The Cake Mistress)

3/4 cup plain flour, sifted
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
40g butter, softened
2 tbs cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
100ml cream
50ml milk
6 tbs Milo
1 egg

Frosting:
2 1/4 cups icing sugar, sifted
100g butter, softened
2 tbs cocoa, sifted
3 tbs milk
4 tbs Milo + 1 tbs to decorate



Turn the oven on to 180 degrees celsius, and line a 12 cupcake muffin tray with cupcake cases.
In a bowl, mix the sugars and the butter until creamy and smooth. Add the egg and mix until fully incorporated.
Sift the flours and cocoa in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
Combine the milk, cream and Milo in a jug until it turns to a chocolate milk colour/consistency.
Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture until just combined, then add 1/2 of the milk mixture to the butter mixture until combined, keep doing this ending with the last of the flour. Mix all the ingredients until just combined- do not overmix.
Pour into the patty cases and cook in the oven for 15-17 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.

To prepare the frosting, cream the butter until smooth and creamy. Slowly add the icing sugar and cocoa until combined. Mix the milo and milk together in a jug and slowly pour into the frosting mix. The frosting should be mixed until fluffy and smooth (about 5 minutes).
Frost the cupcakes with the frosting, and dust with the remaining 1 tbs of Milo and there you have it! Mmm my kitchen smelt of Milo for a good hour or so...I was in heaven!









All decorated and pretty!!




As the Milo Cupcake mixture only made 12 cupcakes and we have 18 people in my course, I was not going to let 6 people miss out so I decided to make another batch of cupcakes...and as I had already used up all of the Milo, I had to choose another recipe. Looking in my cupboard I found 3 Tim Tams and some Dark Crunchy Caramel Lindt chocolate left over from the other night. One of my favourite cupcakes is a plain vanilla with chopped chocolate in it so I thought if I love them, maybe the people in my class will too!
Alas, it was going to be Vanilla Choc Cupcakes!



Vanilla Choc Cupcakes (using my basic vanilla cupcake recipe from Joy of Baking)100g butter, softened
2/3 cup caster sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 cups plain flour

1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 milk
3 Tim Tams, crushed
50g Lindt Dark Crunchy Caramel, roughly chopped



Frosting
100g butter
2 cups icing sugar

1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbs milk



Preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius and line a 12 cupcake/muffin tray with cupcake cases.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla essence.
Sift the flours together and alternatively add the flours and milk to the butter mixture (make sure you end with flour). Add the crushed Tim Tams and chopped Lindt chocolate and fold into the mixture.
Fill the cupcake cases 2/3 of the way and cook for 18-20 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.









 A close up to see the chunks of Dark Crunchy Caramel, mmm!  


For the frosting, beat the butter until creamy and smooth. Add the vanilla essence and mix until combined. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the sugar and then the milk and mix until combined. Mix on medium speed for around 5 minutes until the mixture becomes fluffy and light. Pipe onto cupcakes and decorate with leftover chopped chocolate.




TA DAAAAAA!

No comments:

Post a Comment